Last week, I packed two rolls of Fuji 400 film into my two Nikon EM cameras for another test of my c’est schisse 3D film photography experiment.
And before I post these images … I am going to apologize to you, my beloved blog readers, for giving you headaches in past blogs regarding this experiment.
In an effort to show the three dimensional images by slaloming back and forth at rapid pace between the two images, I understand that readers might not appreciate seeing the three-dimensional images in this way. Fair enough. I wish I could upload a View-Master reel or a Holmes Stereo viewer to everybody, but I can’t. So what I’ll do is this –
1. I’ll post magic motion clips, but I’ll slow down the picture intervals to a more reasonable level.
2. I’ll also post images that, if you relax your eyes and let the two images blend into each other, should allow you to see a three-dimensional image just as easily as if you put the images in a stereopticon. Relax your eyes, don’t cross your eyes, it will work.
So … the photos.
Here’s a shot of a small railroad bridge in Gansevoort.
So … will this work for you?
Let’s try another one. A short walk from this bridge is an outdoor park, with some very nice foliage changes.
Okay. This works. Using 400 speed film was a much better choice than my previous use of using 800 speed film.
I later drove up to the old Magic Forest amusement park – or what’s left of it – and caught this photo for my efforts.
After I took these photos, I received a message on my phone. It was from Google, asking me if I wanted to rate my visit to the Magic Forest. Well, I did get a nice photo here …
I drove down to Saratoga County, and just for the heck of it, I stopped at the Yaddo Gardens. There wasn’t much in terms of Yaddo Garden flower blooms, but there is a nice little pond and fall foliage spot.
Let’s get it.
I really, really like this last one. In fact, I think I’ll save it for the short pile for the Austrian 3D photo competition in 2020. Save ’em now, use ’em later.
So … notes.
400 speed film provides more color symmetry. Use this. Use ISO 200 and 100 film as well.
The mounting jig that keeps both cameras lined up properly did its job. I’ve got depth without quirky alignment issues.
One of the MD-E winders failed. I’m going to have to hunt for a new one. I need both winders working synchronously, not “one works and one has to be hand-wound” mode.
Oh, and the use of two manual shutter releases was a big help. I could fire both cameras simultaneously with one touch of my thumb on two shutter buttons. Swank.
I knew this would work.
I just had to dial this in and MAKE it work.