I wouldn’t mind this project … if I didn’t have to attempt it THREE FREAKIN’ TIMES to even get a workable image.
I shall explain.
Off and on, I’ve been trying to create a “weave” of film strips to create a unified image. My plan was to use my super-ultra-wide Krasnogorsk FT-2 camera (“Raskolnikov”), along with some 35mm film, to make this work. In the past, I’ve shot various buildings and locales – the Palace Theater, the switchback horseshoe bend along the road to Thacher Park, all sorts of attempts. Nothing really satisfied me on those shots.
So let’s get some collegiate inspiration.
And by “collegiate inspiration,” I mean a visit to my alma mater, Hamilton College. It’s approximately a two-hour drive from Albany to the campus, and it’s a good excuse to give my 2017 Chevrolet Volt Premier (“Lightning’s Girl”) a little run.
Raskolnikov’s packed with some Svema vintage Soviet film. Took my shots. Went home. Tried to take the film out of the cartridge. Film shattered into pieces. This is what happens when you try to use 35-year-old Commie film. This crap falls apart like a Soviet tank convoy. Yeah, I went there.
Tried again. Loaded the camera with a different formula of black and white film, Fuji Acros B&W stock. Drove back to the college. Set up the tripod. Took some pictures. Went home. Figured I’d try to develop the film myself. Loaded the film in the developing tank. Added the Cinestill Df96 chemicals. Agitated. Dumped out the chemicals. Pulled out a clear filmstrip. No images. UGH!!
That’s wasted two round trips to Hamilton College. And if it weren’t for the fact that I probably spent $5 total in electric battery power doing this … 😀
Okay. One more try. I’ve got this AGFA Scala 200X film that I need to use up in the next few weeks before the last lab in the world stops developing it. I’ve got four rolls of 120 film and two rolls of 35mm. I packed the 35mm film in Raskolnikov. This is the third try. It BETTER give me that swank image I desire. I mean it.
Another trip to the college. I put Raskolnikov on a tripod, and aimed at the Hamilton College Chapel. A couple of straight shots, then I tilted the camera 30 degrees on the X axis and 15 degrees on the Y axis – shot an image, rotated the Y axis another 15 degrees – shot an image, rotated the Y axis ANOTHER 15 degrees – shot an image … then turned the camera 60 degrees on the X axis, and repeated my Y axis images.
If I do this correctly, I will have seven images – one straight, six tilted – that I can angle and weave together. And for safety’s sake, I took a few more horizontal shots, just to shall we say “finish out the film roll.”
Those photos were taken two weeks ago. Went into the darkroom (which also doubles as my bathroom), turned out the lights, took the loose film out of Raskolnikov, put the film in a black light-tight plastic container, and shipped the roll off to Iowa for processing.
On Monday … I received a little box in my mailbox. It’s the film. Developed.
This is black and white slide film, so I should be able to see positive images on this bad boy.
That sure as hell looks like the Chapel.
Okay. Let’s get to scanning. And tinting. And masking off every single sprocket hole.
I tried various alignments, and the best one I found was this three-strip alignment that encompassed the Chapel and tree along Campus Road.
Take a looksee.
Just … damn.
There’s the Chapel and a tree alongside Campus Road. I’ll take this in a heartbeat.
Whether or not it’ll work with Competition Season 2022 is one thing …
But maybe if I did a limited-edition print (and by “limited edition” I mean one) and submitted it to the College as part of an alumni art show …