The 4th of July in Ripscale

For the past five days, I’ve focused on one photographic goal.  And I have less than 120 hours to create it.

Challenge?  I can handle a challenge.  I eat challenges with my toast for breakfast.

July 4, 2012.  2:00 p.m. – 120 hours to go. Here I am, like everyone else in the Capital District, at the Empire State Plaza for the 4th of July fireworks show.

Normally on this day, I set up a photo-shooting location at the roof of the Eagle Street parking garage, so that I can get the fireworks framed with the Corning Tower, the Agency Buildings and the Egg.  I’ve done that type of photo shoot for the past three years.

This time… I’m taking a different approach.

While everybody else dragged their digital cameras and tripods to capture the brilliance of exploding gunpowder, I decided to keep this year’s fireworks show analogue-only, and just brought my Nikon F100, my Vivitar 19mm f/3.8 lens, my new Vanguard tripod, and plenty of rolls of 35mm film.  Oh yeah, and a few extra AA batteries.  Nikon F100’s don’t work as well without a steady stream of batteries.

I set up my tripod along one of the walkways, near the agency buildings.  As people walked by, I asked if they would pose for me – either looking and pointing at the fireworks, or taking pictures of the fireworks.  Granted, the fireworks were still hours away from going off… but some people were more than willing to point at the not-yet-fired-off fireworks.  This is good.

I captured some candid moments – an elderly couple dancing to big band music; an Albany police officer on his bicycle; whatever looked interesting.  I didn’t care if it was being shot on B&W film (Orwo, Svema, Arista school film), or on slide film (Kodak Elite Chrome, Kodak Ektachrome EDupe) or on C-41 film (everything from Kodak Ektar to cheapo Rite Aid film).  All I needed was to capture the image and work from there.  Capture the plank and build the house with it.

Even though I set up my camera and tripod at a semi-shady shooting location on the Concourse, the heat at the Plaza was getting oppressive.  And the only vendors that walked up and down the Concourse were selling glow sticks and illuminated wands.  And, folks, rest assured – those things are not made of ice water.  GRR

However, I got through the day shots without any trouble.  A family who also set up their viewing area near my location were kind enough to guard my gear while I made necessary beverage runs, and they also made sure that my tripod stayed in place and didn’t get bumped out of alignment.  Much thanks to Scott and Georgia and their family for all their help.

And then, as the fireworks lit up the Empire State Plaza concourse, I shot three rolls of film – Kodak Elite Chrome 100 and Fuji Velvia 50 – and finished the finale with Kodak Ektar in the camera.

All in all, I used thirteen of the twenty rolls.  Oh, and here’s a hint for all of you – for an easy-peasey exit out of downtown, there’s plenty of early “on-street” parking near State and Pearl Streets.  I was out of the Plaza and heading home within 15 minutes of the finale, while other people were still idling their engines in the parking garages.  Nyah nyah.

July 5, 2012 – 8:00 a.m. – 102 hours to go. First thing in the morning – I dropped off six standard C-41 film rolls at my local CVS.  Just develop them, I asked.  I don’t need any CD scans or 4×6 prints.  Just develop the negatives and place them in those little cellophane sleeves.  I’ll take it from there.  No problem, the drowsy-looking cashier said.

Oh boy.  Any time a cashier from CVS tells me “no problem,” I’m assured there will always BE a problem.

I then drove over to McGreevy Pro Lab in downtown Albany, and handed off seven rolls of film – three B&W, three E-6 and a C-41 cross-process.  McGreevy’s is the only local place I trust with slide and B&W film; and since McGreevy only develops film two days a week – Tuesday and Friday – I had to get these rolls to the pro lab by Thursday morning if I wanted ANY chance of seeing developed film by Friday night.  Again, all I needed was the film developed and sleeved.

And then I had to deal with the wait.  We’re in a modern era, an instantaneous era, when everybody rushes to upload their pictures on Facebook and on flickr and on Instagram.  If the 4th of July pictures aren’t online by the morning of July 5th, you’re considered a straggler and a lazy person.

Not me.  I’m being patient.  And creative.

July 5, 2012 – 6:00 p.m. – 92 hours to go. I arrived at CVS.  Of course, I’ve had issues with CVS developing my film in the past – either the film got completely wiped, or there were some weird developer streaks on the negatives.  But I didn’t have a choice.  Either I scan in six rolls of film and seven tomorrow – or I scan in THIRTEEN rolls of film in a single night.

I arrived at CVS.  “I have some film that was developed for Chuck Miller, I’m here to pick it up.”

The attendant walked over to the photo processing center.   He came back with a thin envelope.  “Here’s your film.”

“Um… that can’t be all of it.  I dropped off six rolls of 35mm film.”

“Your name is Miller, isn’t it?”

I nodded.

He handed me the envelope.  “This is yours.”

I looked at the envelope.  “You’re sure it’s mine?”

“Yes, sir.  And do you have your CVS card with you?”

“This isn’t my film.”

“Sir, it is your film.  Your name is Miller, you told me your name is Miller, so this is your film.”

“Yes, my name is Miller,” I protested, pointing at the receipt that was taped to the envelope.  “Chuck Miller.  Not Eleanor Miller!”

The cashier looked at the envelope.  “Sorry,” he mumbled, and went back to the photo processing location.  He quickly returned with six bulging envelopes, each one filled with film negatives.  I checked the envelopes.  Yes, they were my film.  And CVS followed my instructions – develop the film, don’t burn a CD, don’t make me prints.  Unfortunately, all they did was develop the film and stuff it into the paper envelopes, without even using those protective cellophane film sleeves.  GRRRR

So all night, I trimmed and scanned and sleeved six rolls of film.  And for the hundreds of exposures from those rolls, I found at least six images that will work for the project.

Now I gotta hope that McGreevy Pro Lab can also come through.  If not, I can still work with these six rolls of film.  But I want more options than that.

July 6, 2012 – 2:00 p.m. – 72 hours to go. I received an e-mail from McGreevy Pro Lab.  My seven rolls of film are done.  Come get ’em.

Five of the rolls were sleeved up – while two other rolls; my night shots of the fireworks, were sheathed and rolled in a box.  “I didn’t want to cut them,” said Joe Putrock, one of the techs over at McGreevy Pro Lab.  “I didn’t want to accidentally trim part of your picture away.”

Now that I understand.  A photo lab that cares about the output of the product.

I looked at the rolls.  Nice.  Nice.  Very nice.  Nice.  Nice.  Very nice.  This is going to work.

Of course, this means another long night of scanning.  My little Minolta DImage Scan Dual IV is gonna get a major workout when all this is said and done.

July 7, 2012 – 11:00 a.m. – 51 hours to go. I looked at all the film scans.  There were some great shots and some shots that looked like hell.  But through the entire run, I got several spectacular fireworks blasts on the finale, and I know that I picked up some swank crowd shots during the late afternoon.

I carefully selected each specific exposure – one from every roll.  Now comes the next step.  I saved the selected scanned images on a spare CompactFlash card, and then Let’s Go, Cardachrome – next stop, Ritz Camera in Crossgates Mall.

Ritz Camera’s still at the mall – at least for now – and I wanted to get these printed out.  An hour later, my prints were ready.  And since Ritz is going out of business, I was able to get the prints done at a reasonable discount.

Then home I go.  I spent the next two hours looking over each photo – deciding what to tear and what to expose and what to show and what to cover.  I don’t know if this will work.  If it doesn’t, I’ll at least have valuable notes for future attempts at this.

Rip.  Shred.  Tear.  Bend.  Fold. Spindle.  Mutilate.

And then… when all is said and done… I scanned the printed collage into my computer.  But even after all of this… I wasn’t done. I still had my doubts as to whether this would work.

So before I would release this image to anyone for viewing, I sent a copy of it to my friend Catherine.  I’ve worked with Catherine on my writing and magazine projects, I consider her to be my closest confidante.  She’ll tell me straight if I’ve achieved a miracle; and she’ll tell me if I’ve completely screwed up.

She e-mailed me back.  She said that the artwork was awesome, and that it reminded her of what Robert Rauschenberg achieved with his “combine” art pieces.

So do you want to see it?

Here it is.

Albany, N.Y. 4th of July in Ripscale. Nikon F100 camera, Vivitar 19mm f/3.8 lens, (taking deep breath) Kodak Ektar 100, Kodak Elite Chrome 100, Kodak Portra 160VC, Kodak Max 400, Kodak T400CN, Fuji Velvia 50, Arista 400 B&W, ORWO NP55 B&W, Kodak Ektachrome Duplicating film (cross-processed), Rite Aid 400 film (flipped in redscale), and Konica Centuria 400S film (whew!). Photo by Chuck Miller.

See, the New York State Fair this year has a special category called “Pride of New York,” in which we show what makes this state the greatest state in the Union.  And I didn’t feel like photographing an apple orchard or Niagara Falls or the Empire State Building or a race at Saratoga.  No.  I wanted to show a celebration of our Capital District, as well as try out my ripscale project.

July 8, 2012 – 11:00 a.m. – 27 hours to go. I’ve got a compact disc burned with the six images for the New York State Fair, including this one.  If I drop the CD and my entry fee in the mail at the Colonie Center post office, I can still make the July 9 entry deadline.  Man, I worked so hard on this project, I think it has a chance of claiming some silk.  All I need to do now is download the application form and…

What’s this?

The Art & Home deadline has been extended to July 13th.

Wait… the deadline’s not Monday, July 9th?  It’s at the end of the freakin’ week?  Are you freakin’ kidding me?  I freakin’ knocked myself silly trying to get this freakin’ project done in freakin’ time and everybody gets an extra four freakin’ days to submit their freakin’ entries?

As Casey Kasem would say… “Ponderous.  Simply ponderous.”  It’s like back in college, when I had to pull an all-nighter to study for an exam – only to find out the next morning that the professor postponed the exam a few days.

Oh well… it’s not the end of the world to have a few extra days to put something together, to make some last-minute tweaks and adjustments.

And I gotta tell you, the 4th of July ripscale image is quite striking.  And no matter what, I did made my “what was then a deadline” of July 9 to get the project done.

But now I have four extra days at my disposal; four more days for this picture to stay in the mix with the other five images.  And if it took me four days to create this little ripscale image…

Maybe with four more days at my disposal, I might come up with something even better.

We shall see.