Last night I spent some time in reflection. I do that when it comes to “window-bashing,” my term for removing the old glass from a future Dream Window artwork. In this case, this particular window frame was coated with dirt and gunk and cobwebs and cracks and flakes and other disgusting thingies. Heck, I think the window frame itself is probably coated in old lead paint.
But as I’m bashing out the broken glass and sanding the frame and sweeping up all the gungus from the floor… I began thinking again. I do this on occasion.
And here’s some of the thoughts I had regarding all this.
- Now that my car is completely paid off, and the title is mine free and clear, I want to spend the year saving up for a Christmas gift for myself. I’ll save all the loose change, all my winning lottery tickets and OTB winning bets, and in November I’ll turn it all into a B&H Photo Video gift card. And whatever it comes out to, I’ll go to New York City and buy a goodie for myself. It’s an oddball Christmas Club conscript, but hey…
- I’m really enjoying the Empire TV series. Now if this show debuted in, oh let’s say the late 1980’s, maybe the show’s opening credits would look like this?http://video.vulture.com/video/Empire-vs-Dynasty-Mashup/player?layout=compact&read_more=1
- Last night was Game 5 of the NBL Canada’s first-round series between the (Prince Edward Island) Storm and the Saint John (N.B.) Mill Rats. I was watching the game via a YouTube stream while I was doing my window-bashing. Let’s put it this way. Mike Williams (#7 in orange for the Storm) will never have to pay for a meal in Prince Edward Island again after this.
— Jules Whitlock (@IslandHappy_28) March 13, 2015
- I’m hearing chirping birds outside my window. I hope those are the birds who flew south and are returning, and are not the birds who consider a Capital District nor’easter “south.”
- The Washington Avenue Armory’s woes stem from the one true, unassailable fact – it’s a former munitions depot that has been trying for years to become something different; a multi-purpose performance facility with no nearby parking garage. Maybe at one time in our lives this building would have been adequate for all its roles, but that was before someone built the arena on South Pearl Street.
- I just recently purchased a Swiffer/Bissell steam-cleaning floor mop. Awesome stuff, it works like a charm.
- Competition season is coming up quickly. And I’ve got a few ideas for upcoming photos. Some that I haven’t even mentioned in this blog.
- I entered two of my pictures – The AGFA Bridge Over Ansco Lake and The Three-Two Pitch – in a competition in Florida. I would share the link with all of you and ask you to consider voting for them, until I discovered that each “vote” costs $1.
- I need to go to Snow Man and get a Boston Shake.
- My daughter Cassaundra got a new job. She’s working at Home Depot. And she’s getting a new place. Good for her. Proud of her. We all need to get away from things that are toxic in our lives, and she’s doing that with a lot of strength and conviction.
- One of these days I’m going to blog about my recipe for “hot dog screamers.” Trust me. It’s as delicious as Spam Stroganoff or Hula-Burgers. I kid you not.
- I think I need a road trip to Philadelphia. Or maybe to Allentown. Or possibly south central Pennsylvania. Yeah. Weekend road trip. Works for me.
- You know, it’s been five years since I worked on that Bottle Service web series, and it still hasn’t seen the light of day. I would say that my time was wasted in that event, but I did make some great friends by being part of it, so it’s a mixed blessing for sure.
- NASCAR reinstated Kurt Busch and he can now drive in the sport again. Memo to Kurt. Don’t screw this up, it’s your last chance. Okay, now I’m putting money on him getting tossed out of NASCAR by at least the Southern 500 at Darlington. Any takers?
- There are people right now who are trying to read this blog post and determine if they can “find any hidden messages” or secret passive-aggressive comments inbetween the lines. Here, I’ll make it easy for you. ˙ǝɟᴉl ɐ ʇǝƃ ʍou ;uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ɹoʇᴉuoɯ ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ oʇ ʍoɥ ʍouʞ noʎ ‘suoᴉʇɐlnʇɐɹƃuoƆ
- I don’t know why, but every time I work on a window-bashing project, I always cut the side of my right index finger. No other fingers, just that one. Not too much blood leaking this time.
- There are days when I feel like the loneliest sound in the universe is the last heartbeat.
- And then I go to the blog and there’s comments and discussion; I go to Facebook and there’s “likes” and comments, and I go to Twitter and there’s comments and retweets. Maybe I’m not alone after all.
- Of course I’m not alone. I’ve got all of you, my friends, my readers, my compatriots. And truly, I could never be alone as long as I have all of you.
Okay, gotta clean up. I’ve got broken glass everywhere, and between the glass and the rusted glazier’s points and the splinters and the paint flakes and everything…
Anyways, thanks for being my readers. I really appreciate all of you.
See you tomorrow with another new blog post!