Before I do this week’s recap of the great blogs on my personal blogroll, there’s a very important and grim personal anniversary today.
51 years ago this very day, my baby brother Allen was involved in a horrific car accident. He was in a car with my other siblings (I was in first grade at the time, so I was in school instead of being in the car), and my grandfather was driving. Due to a combination of poor weather conditions and too many Cutty Sarks, he crashed the car into a tree on Lordstown Road in Nassau. Allen was barely three years old. He was ejected from the car – through the windshield – and was gravely injured. Six months later, God finally brought him home.
I was six years old when it happened, and even today, I still think about the survivor’s guilt of being in school that day and, by fate or by luck, not being in the car when that happened. Emotionally, that put a puncture in my familial concept. I was mourning what had happened to Allen, and nobody could give me any satisfactory answers. Nobody.
It wasn’t until December 2010 when his unmarked grave at St. Agnes Cemetery finally received a marker, and that was only because I personally purchased it. It only bears his name, the years of birth and death, and the marker “Beloved Angel.” Because there’s still a part of me that believes he’s not far in my times of crisis.
His passing has reminded me of the preciousness and finality of life. No one is guaranteed an extra day on this Earth. During your one ride on this merry-go-round, you must make the best of your time. And that merry-go-round can stop in an instant, for a thousand different reasons.
Hold your loved ones close today. Call those who mean the most to you. We’re all going through so much now in 2021. But take a moment and reconnect with those who matter in your life.
All right. Thank you for allowing me to take a personal moment.
Now let’s get to the blogroll.
- BLOGS FOR HISTORY
- The Albany history blog “Hoxsie”, “Bones, Fire and a Weathercock.“
- Steven Nover in the Nippertown blog, “Flashback 50 Years: Recalling the University Concert Board.“
- BLOGS FOR TASTE
- Bill Dowd’s “Notes on Napkins,” “In Hudson, one planned brewery project replacing another.“
- The Burnt My Fingers blog, “Food for Thought: The Casual Sourdough Baker.“
- Jerry Papandrea’s “DerryX” blog, “Are You an OreoHead? (Featuring Michelle the OreoHead).“
- BLOGS FOR THE IMAGE
- C.S. Young, Jr.’s Fine Art Photography blog, “Monochrome Monday: Hilton Head Island.” (NEW BLOGROLL RESIDENT!)
- Marc Beebe’s “Wandering Words” blog, “What do you see?“
- Richard Broom photography, “The Boats.“
- Steve Banfield photography, “Wear a Mask.“
- The Lonerist photo blog, “Locamat #2.“
- The Resurrected Camera blog, “Oh deer.“
- Tim Jeffers’ Vintage Lens blog, “Abstract Straws.“
- BLOGS FOR TRAVEL
- The Saratoga Woods and Waterways blog, “Coping Through a COVID-constricted Winter.“
- BLOGS FOR THE SCREEN
- BLOGS FOR THE EARS
- BLOGS FOR THE WORD
- Lale Davidson’s “A Writing Life,” “Writing Prompt: Use Setting to Show Character and Theme.” (NEW BLOGROLL RESIDENT!)
- Rob Hoffman in the Hoffman Files, “Satan Take the Wheel.“
- The Pine Hills Review, “‘behind wisdom lies wild women in the woods: Eurus O Iris is her name.’ by Edward Rinaldi.“
- J. Eric Smith’s blog, “Flag of Convenience.“
- Jewel Kinch-Thomas’ “Tune In to Leadership,” “The Radical intimacy of identity: Yours, Mine, Ours.“
- BLOGS FOR CONSCIENCE
- Daniel Jeanson in the “Girl Gone Smart” blog, “Texas Should be a Warning For Us All.“
- Heather Fazio in the “Girl Gone Smart” blog, “Girl Gone Off: So You Want Rush to Rest in Peace?“
- Roger Green’s “Ramblin’ with Roger” blog, “Rushing to say good things about Limbaugh.“
- Rob Madeo in the “Keyboard Krumbs” blog, “You Can Leave Your Beard On.“
- Silvia Lilly in the DelSo blog, “PTSD: Post-Trump Sleep Disorder.“
- BLOGS FOR LIFESTYLE
Have a good weekend, everyone.