I know, I know, this is normally reserved for a leisurely Sunday morning blog post, but last Sunday’s post was taken up by acquiring a new car, and next Sunday I’ll be driving back from the NBL Canada-TBL All-Star Game Weekend in Syracuse, so today is as good a day as any to share progress on this project.
For those of you who aren’t aware of what I’m doing, I’m constructing a hooked rug that’s based on the postcard image at the top of this blog post – a 1960’s-era shot of the Neba Roast Beef / Mike’s Submarines shop at the corner of Central and Colvin Avenues in Albany. My original latch hook project – which was based on one of my covered bridge photos – got messed up when I put the wrong stitches in the wrong area, essentially wasting three months of work. In an effort to TRY to get something ready for Competition Season 2022, I started this project with the leftover yarn from the previous project. Whatever yarn I didn’t have, I’d place an emergency order to my craft supply store of choice, Herrschner’s, and wait for them to ship what I need.
Got it all? Great. There’s a test tomorrow.
And in an effort to motivate myself to get this project done as quickly as possible, I’ve posted Sunday updates, showing progress from week to week.
So here’s how far I’ve gotten, and you can compare last week’s efforts to this week’s completion. Thanks to the wonders of WordPress, you can see the progress by sliding the slider left and right.
As you can see, there’s big big progress. I’ve completed several squares on the right side (the ‘Mike’s” side), and I’ve got the reflection from the Neba serving window completed as well.
In other words … we’re getting there.
Okay, now for the “square a day” progress report. Every blue-bordered square on the canvas equals 100 yarns. And I’m equating my progress with this goal. Every day, clear at least one 100-yarn square. If you clear two 100-yarn squares, you’ve improved your target goal by a day.
As of April 3, last week’s blog post, doing one blue-squared area per day would set my final target at January 20, 2023.
After last week’s output, it looks like my target got dragged out to February 1, 2023.
Damn it. I’m losing ground. As it is, I’m now thinking this won’t get done in time for Altamont … that maybe I can finish it in time for Durham, and maybe for BUILT. But I gotta get a move-on.
Or maybe I’m overdoing it. Just to be safe, though, I may put something else in place for BUILT just in case this isn’t done in time.
Let’s hope I get this done in time.